[arch-dev-public] preparing db+heimdal bump

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Jul 3 05:35:22 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 11:18 +0200, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2008 08:35:57 schrieb Jan de Groot:
> > Why would that one have a dependency on db? If so, that's a bug.
> > evolution-data-server links to db 4.1
>
> Do we really need db-4.7, db4.1 and db4.5? And btw: Does anybody know a way to
> build against a special version of db? For example php seems to be linked
> against the lower version of db when installed.

The point of evolution-data-server is that it is shipped with db 4.1 and
all data is stored with that DB format. As evolution doesn't come with a
conversion tool for db updates, I don't like to build
evolution-data-server against a newer version of db.
The reason why this package is linked against a dynamic install of db
4.1 is that it's much more efficient. When linking static against the
included version, the included DB library will get loaded into memory 3
or 4 times when running evolution. When using a shared copy, db is only
loaded once.

The problem with php detecting db 4.1 is because of features in
configure scripts. These scripts scan versioned db files (libdb-4.1.so)
and if none of the specified versioned files is found, the generic
libdb.so is used. This means that when scanning for libdb-4.5 to
libdb-4.0 to libdb, the libdb-4.1.so file is found before libdb.so is
found, and libdb-4.7.so wasn't detected at all. Patching these scripts
to support 4.7 too is the solution for this issue.

As for db-4.5: there's a small set of packages that don't work with
newer versions of db. One example of this is OpenLDAP, where the last
recommended version was 4.5 (it's also the only example).
I don't know if this openldap problem has been fixed in the 2.4 series
though, but 2.3 didn't support it.