[arch-dev-public] Moving on

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 16:48:26 EDT 2008

Travis Willard wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> Hey guys.
>>>
>>> I've been giving it some thought lately, and I think I need to sit
>>> back and assess my priorities in life.
>>>
>>> My day-job has been taking up a lot of my time lately, and events in
>>> my personal life have also increased of late.  That leaves little
>>> "free time" and I'm finding more and more lately that whenever I get
>>> this time free I don't feel like sitting down and spending more time
>>> working on Arch after working 9 to 5 in front of a PC.  As a result,
>>> I'm getting very little done for Arch on a day-to-day basis, and that
>>> doesn't feel good.  The time I do spend on Arch feels more like work,
>>> like an obligation than it ever used to feel.  Of the packages I
>>> maintain, I actually care about maybe 3.  I'm having trouble finding
>>> motivation.
>>>
>>> In any case, it really leaves me with two options:
>>> 1) drop some personal-life stuff to prioritize Arch and attempt to
>>> rekindle the spark I had when I first started, or
>>> 2) gracefully bow out of Arch "development"
>>>
>>> I have chosen the latter.
>> Sad times have fallen on Arch! Travis of the Northern Tundra has left
>> our noble ranks!
>>
>> Seriously though, I do understand. We all do. It's the way of
>> volunteer work - it can only be important for so long. Eventually
>> something else will come up that is more important (a lot of times
>> it's those damn evil women-folk, too! heh). So don't take it too bad.
>>
>> As I said to Eliott, there's always a spot for you guys here. You're
>> always welcome to come back, in any capacity, if things change in the
>> future.
>>
>>> Believe it or not, it has been a difficult decision.  I love Arch, and
>>> the people behind it.  The distro rocks, and all you guys rock as
>>> well.  I think I'll miss you all.  I really want to see Arch succeed,
>>> and the combination of these things has kept me doing stuff for quite
>>> a while after it stopped being enjoyable, however now with the large
>>> influx of new packagers we're taking on, I think it's the right time
>>> for me to step back and let the new guys, each with their own fresh
>>> spark for Arch, to take the reins, so to speak.
>>>
>>> I toyed with the idea of taking a long sabbatical, orphaning my pkgs
>>> and coming back in 6 months or a year or something, but I figured it'd
>>> be silly to keep me around in the web interface and on the dev page
>>> and all that jazz when I'm not even sure whether I plan to return.  If
>>> I ever feel the desire to take this on again, I'll reapply like a
>>> normal person. ;)
>>>
>>> I'll still be around - love the community, spend more time on the
>>> forums while at work than I should, enjoy helping others out, etc...
>>> If anybody needs any quick help with anything, I'd be glad to take a
>>> look.

> [...]

When I rejoined the team, my @archlinux.org was still redirecting to an
address I haven't used in over a year, so you'll probably be ok. Except
Aaron is more picky about these things than dear old Judd.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all the work you've done. And its
been great working with you this past week. :-D (Or is in my presence on
the team that makes you quit?)

  Take care of yourself and if you find yourself in Toronto for some
gawdawful reason, look me up. I was in Waterloo a few months back but
didn't have time to ping you. :-( Maybe another time, I have a friend
working at MKS.

Cheers!
Dusty