[arch-dev-public] Multilib on Archlinux x86_64

Daniel Isenmann daniel.isenmann at gmx.de
Tue Jul 8 17:38:32 EDT 2008

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:14:04 +0200
Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Daniel Isenmann schrieb:
> >> *But* I think it is a bit important that we look at why we're doing
> >> this - for a handful (5 or 6) closed source apps. flash, teamspeak,
> >> skype, google-earth (and wine). It seems like a lot of work for a
> >> handful of apps. That's why I'm neutral on this. I think the
> >> rationale is sound, but it sounds like a lot of forward MOTION for
> >> little forward PROGRESS.
>
> It is some work, but it is worth it. I want this because my computer
> is not in an ideal world where I can simply port everything to 64
> bit. This is the real world, where I depend on applications I that
> need 32 bit environments, even worse, I depend on applications that
> only work in x86_64/i386 multilib environments.
>
> > I really don't see the advantage to do this. Like Aaron said, there
> > are just about 5-6 apps, which are not available on x86_64.
>
> See above.
>
> > The next thing
> > is, why should we support it official?
>
> You are all so much about terminology. The "official" part is not
> what this is about, but the "separate" part. I want a clean 32bit
> environment separate from the "normal" repositories. And if you want
> to call it [community-multilib] instead of multilib, fine.
>
> > There are users out there which
> > are happy with the lib32-* packages in community. The TUs are doing
> > a great job on this.
>
> You haven't really read my posting. The lib32-* packages are broken
> by design. This is just a lot of work being done, about a good
> job ... that's another category.

I have read your posting!

> > Why should we (we seen as dev) support those stuff?
>
> Well, because I want do, and so do others, possibly. Why should we
> not support it?

Is it just because you want it? Then why you are not doing it on
your own as you do it already? Set up a repo somewhere and maintain it.
For me it looks like, you want it and we should helping maintaining it.
Ok, you have done some good work to seperate the stuff from the
official repos, but then it can even exists as a private repo from you
somewhere.

> 2) Because it doesn't belong in community, it doesn't belong in extra
> or even in core. It's a different thing and it should be in its own
> place.

See above.