[arch-dev-public] What to do with the gtkam package?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Jul 16 14:25:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 14:13 -0400, Eduardo Romero wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 16:24 -0400, Eric Belanger wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Eduardo Romero wrote:
> [...]
> > > 1) We move libexif-gtk to extra.
> > > 2) We move gtkam to AUR.
> > > 3) We move gtkam and libexif-gtk to community.
> [...]
> >
> > If you (or another dev) wants to maintain gtkam, then do option 1.
> > Otherwise, it's option 2.
> >

> Well, I might be able to take on gtkam and libexif-gtk, just to make
> some users happy. But, the problem now lies in this bug report,
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10074 someone wants gtkam withouth gnome
> dependencies, but gnome users would want gtkam with gnome dependencies.
>
> Here is what I have found, if I compile gtkam with libbonoboui and
> libgnomeui installed they are picked as dependencies, and if I remove
> them afterwards gtkam does not start at all, so they are not and cannot
> be makedepends only.
>
> Are we all OK with making gtkam use GNOME dependencies? Or do you have
> other suggestions?

As stated in my comment in the bugreport, the gnome dependencies don't
bring real extra features. libbonobo is something like dbus, but much
more complicated and with much more overhead. libgnome is used to launch
the gnome help browser, which I don't see as a basic requirement for a
package (I guess it uses some fallback to launch a help
browser/documentation when not depending on libgnome).
Just remove the depends, probably nobody will notice and if they do, we
can always add it back if someone can convince us there's extra value in
depending on libbonobo and libgnome.