[arch-dev-public] Please stop the install message insanity
dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 20:09:38 EDT 2008
Wow, I got blasted today with an 88 package upgrade on one of my
machines, and this one really stuck out:
I don't even know what is important anymore, so I just stopped reading
as I'm sure most of our users do too.
1. *Please* use optdepends for things like:
* mod_webdav : libxml2, sqlite3, e2fsprogs
* mod_cml : lua
* mod_magnet : lua
* mod_trigger_b4_dl : gdbm
* mod_mysql_vhost : libmysqlclient
2. Showing me these optional things every single time I install is
stupid. Use optdepends and educate people to use -Qi.
3. If you are going to do an install message, at least indent it
right. Why the heck was everything tabbed over here?
4. Don't keep one-upping every other install message to make sure
yours looks important. The number of ++++++++>>>>>>>>> and
===========> and --------------> >> >>> !!!L#K!J#KL:!#KL:@#:%HKL: is
getting out of control.
OK, I'm done ranting, but I hope someone at least reads this.
More information about the arch-dev-public