[arch-dev-public] [signoff] rp-pppoe 3.10-1

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 24 08:27:51 EDT 2008

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Daniel Isenmann
> <daniel.isenmann at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> above package is in testing for both archs. Please signoff. I can't
>> test the package because I don't use it, I have a router and not
>> connected directly on the line.
>
> If no one uses this, you can take my awesome "blame me if crap be
> broken" signoff

I wonder why this is in core anyway. PPPoE connections can be
established with the pppd package alone. The only advantages this
package has are:

1) A fancy configuration script. With pppd only, you'd have to read
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PPPoE_Setup_with_pppd and set it up.
We could include some example configuration like this in the pppd
package though.

2) A PPPoE server. We don't need that in core.

With pppd, the PPPoE protocol is handled in the kernel (while rp-pppoe
does it in userspace), so pppd probably has less overhead anyway.

I vote for db-move rp-pppoe core extra.