[arch-dev-public] [DRAFT] On the road to KDE 4.1
pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Jul 25 18:29:37 EDT 2008
DRAFT 2, and yes I still have to find out how this new spellchecker in kde4
On July 29th the KDE team will announce the final release of KDE 4.1, the
first usable version of the fourth generation.
To make it possible for Arch users to join the release party in time, there
are packages for 4.1 in our [testing] repository. Please take this chance to
test those and report any packaging bugs using the bug tracker.
Before you update you should read the following hints:
* This update will NOT be smooth. Not all config files of the old KDE are
compatible with 4.1. While the old are kept in ~/.kde the new ones are in
/~.kde4. They won't be converted automagically. You could try to copy some
files manually and see what happens. This might work for kmail, konqueror
and others, but will break things for others. Maybe KDE will release a tool
for doing this.
* If you want to use the KDE desktop make sure you have kdebase-workspace
installed, which includes the kdm, the taskbar etc.
* if pacman wants to replace packages: Answer YES :-)
* At the time of writing not all KDE-based packages have been rebuilt for use
with new KDE or "legacy libs". If you cannot wait, installing kdelibs3
should make them work. But this will be fixed in the repos before things are
pushed to [extra] of course.
* If you start KDM with inittab make sure to change its path from /opt/kde to
* Don't force the upgrade ( -f); report a bug instead
* You might want to (re)move your ~/Desktop folder if you don't like that
* The first login takes a while; don't worry about this. It's creating new
* If you use an nvidia card, please read
* For a short overview about the new features read
Telefon 0228 9716608
Mobil 0160 95269831
Jabber pierre at jabber.archlinux.de
More information about the arch-dev-public