[arch-dev-public] [signoff] new toolchain

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Tue Jun 10 18:38:28 EDT 2008

I've updated both architectures to:

gcc-libs-4.3.1-1
gcc-4.3.1-1 - minor bugfixes
kernel-headers-2.6.25.6-1
glibc-2.8-1 - major bump
binutils-2.18-7 - minor fixes
tzdata-2008c-1

glibc doesn't ship tarballs anymore. we use cvs checkouts from the
stable branch. so we get all latest bugfixes that went upstream. we do
it the same way now for binutils.
please test these packages a bit more intensive.

some gcc related updates for packages in extra will follow soon.

please signoff after testing.

(my own "will OpenOffice build and run" test is still pending)

When the toolchain has moved to core I plan to update "db" with another
nice .so bump...

-Andy

glibc changes:

Version 2.8

* New locales: bo_CN, bo_IN.

* New encoding: HP-ROMAN9, HP-GREEK8, HP-THAI8, HP-TURKISH8.

* Sorting rules for some Indian languages (Devanagari and Gujarati).
  Implemented by Pravin Satpute.

* IPV6 addresses in /etc/resolv.conf can now have a scope ID

* nscd caches now all timeouts for DNS entries
  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

* nscd is more efficient and wakes up less often.
  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

* More checking functions: asprintf, dprintf, obstack_printf, vasprintf,
  vdprintf, and obstack_vprintf.
  Implemented by Jakub Jelinek.

* Faster memset for x86-64.
  Implemented by Harsha Jagasia and H.J. Lu.

* Faster memcpy on x86.
  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

* ARG_MAX is not anymore constant on Linux.  Use sysconf(_SC_ARG_MAX).
  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

* Faster sqrt and sqrtf implemention for some PPC variants.
  Implemented by Stephen Munroe.