[arch-dev-public] maintainers wanted

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:36:45 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> I want to concentrate more on packages that take much time like OOo and
> our toolchain. In the past I adopted many packages just to solve the
> orphan state. So I'd like to give away a few of my packages I don't use
> myself:

Thanks Andy, I fully agree.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I will do it again here to
re-iterate: I don't have internet at home until tomorrow. When I get
that I need to do things like an -Syu (hah), and then this weekend I
am going to begin looking for more official packagers.

Why do I want to bring more packagers on board? If you look at the
activity thread I started, most people are in "idle mode". We're all
maintaining are packages, and that's it. This isn't a huge deal, it
happens. Real life is important (I myself recently started seeing a
new girl, so I fully understand how real life can be more of a draw
than Arch). So in order to pick up our slack, I want to pull in more
maintainers.

Now, here's the important part. I don't want to stress the "you must
do lots of work". I want people to take work of *our* hands so we all
have less packaging duties and more time to have fun. I don't know how
many people I'd like to bring on, but I think that in an ideal world,
no one would have a number of packages in the triple-digits.

Take this as a mini-announcement too. I figure that anyone I'd
actually want on board is already following the arch-dev-public list
anyway, so if anyone is interested in maintaining a handful of
packages in [extra], let me know.

Cheers, and thanks for bringing this up Andy, you're my hero.
Aaron