[arch-dev-public] update problems on gerolde

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Jun 18 16:06:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, this was my fault - when I installed the cron jobs yesterday, I
> symlinked a crontab file into /etc/cron.d/ assuming it would work.
> Apparently, it does not. Rather than figure out why, I dumped all
> those entries into root's crontab.
>
> Is anyone aware of why /etc/cron.d was not read?

I've always had to restart cron to get it to re-read files I put into
/etc/cron.d.  I also put files in there, I've never tried symlinks.

I've also found /var/log/crond to be very helpful when asking, "why
the hell isn't cron running this?!?"  I don't know what the script or
command was so I can't check the logs myself.

Jason