[arch-dev-public] python-2.5.2-3 in testing

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Jun 25 20:03:19 EDT 2008

Jason Chu wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have added python-2.5.2-3 to the testing repo.  The main reason for
>> testing is the removal or /usr/lib/python2.4 from the python library search
>> path (as all python2.5 files should be in the 2.5 folder).  There is also a
>> couple of fixes for bug reports.
>>

> I suppose it has been long enough that all the python packages have
> been updated from the old python2.4 directory ;)
>
> You do know why we had the old search path in there, right?
> Historically we've left it in there so that an upgrade from python 2.4
> to python 2.5 wouldn't lose access to all the modules.  When we go
> from 2.5 to 2.6 it'll probably be advisable to put it back in, at
> least until all the python modules have been rebuilt for 2.6.

Yeah, I figured the transition was close enough to being complete to
force the issue now.  Can't leave it there forever... Otherwise packages
using the python2.4 directory would get broken when python2.6 comes out
in about two years!  And we have a python2.4 package which installs
files there so I am slightly surprised there has been no problems with
sourcing its libraries.  I guess very few people have both installed.

Allan