[arch-dev-public] Java on archlinux

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Jun 28 19:52:07 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 18:34 -0500, Dan McGee wrote:
> > I would propose to package icedtea/openjdk for archlinux and make it
> the
> > prefered java environment. Packaging this java environment requires
> > java compiler, our current free java platform is able to build
> > icedtea/openjdk from source.
> > This means that only java tools and packages required to build
> > icedtea/openjdk will get built with gcj/ecj/java-gcj-compat, others
> will
> > get built with icedtea/openjdk.
> Can't we bootstrap compile it the first time?

Yes, we can. But that will create a circular build-dependency on itself.
We already have this problem with gcc-java/eclipse-ecj that (make)depend
on eachother.
The gcc-java/eclipse-ecj dependency loop is easy to solve, as we can
upload an architecture-neutral jarfile to FTP and use that in the
future. Building icedtea/openjdk actually only requires gcc-java, the
eclipse-ecj.jar file and xalan-java. This is a minimal set of
makedepends, we could eventually drop the rest of the java-gcj-compat
environment (java-gcj-compat, gjdoc) if we want.