[arch-dev-public] Java on archlinux

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Jun 29 05:20:23 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 10:47 +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
> +1 from me. Most work seems to done already in the AUR packages.
>
> But then we should also drop providing SUN's jre/jdk in extra.
> Let's support only free software. Let's put SUN stuff back to AUR.
> That
> also solves probable license issues.

Both JRE/JDKs are compatible with eachother. The licensing of Sun
JRE/JDK is "free" also due to the distribution license they put on it.
This means we can distribute it with our distribution for free. This
means there's no licensing issue, so we're allowed to have it in the
repositories, either extra or community.

I don't know what the current maintainer thinks about keeping JDK/JRE,
but if he insists on keeping it, we'll keep it. If he decides to drop
it, we'll drop it and place it in community.