[arch-dev-public] Java on archlinux

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Jun 29 15:42:54 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 13:52 -0500, Dan McGee wrote:
> > Has anyone found circumstances in which the Sun JDK and JRE have
> been
> > inadequate for their Java needs? I recognize that it's possible that
> one day
> > OpenJDK will actually lead the pack, given the way the Java world is
> moving,
> > but I don't think that day is yet, and generally prefer to be using
> the
> > reference JVM wherever possible.
>
> Whoa! I'm with Paul here. This was never meant to be the free software
> crusade. When we become Debian I will find myself a new distro.

The whole point of the "reference JDK" from sun is that it doesn't
include a browser plugin for x86_64 and it has bugs that wouldn't have
existed when it had been allowed to build from source. The libxcb issue
that has been fixed in the binaries recently is one example of that.
The reason why we're bringing up this potential removal isn't because of
free software. As I said, it will only get removed when its maintainer
decides to drop the package and no other maintainer wants to take over.