[arch-dev-public] Eclipse: planning a switch to binaries

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Mon Jun 30 21:30:33 EDT 2008

All,

After much of my hair is missing on account of tearing it out (David
Rosenstrauch's too) trying to get everything we want out of an Eclipse
build-- or even just a version that can consistently build-- I'm
planning to switch main eclipse over to the prebuilt binary.

Why? Here's the reasons:

1) Better compatibility. The eclipse foundation uses something like 7
JVMs in their build process, and builds everything for optimal
compatibility.

2) The eclipse foundation's build process is "too complicated for you"
and can't be recreated by mere mortals.

3) The annoying "Assembling..." bug that has plagued us for years and
causes only 1 out of every 5-10 attempts to make eclipse to actually work.

4) No clear benefit (possibly a little sacrificed speed) of continuing
to build from source.

So I'm waiting until Wednesday (7/3) to hear counterpoints on this, and
then switching the main eclipse and eclipse-cdt packages over to build
from eclipse foundation binaries. Please register your feedback here!

Best,
Paul