[arch-dev-public] dash package in core?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 06:24:03 EST 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 11:58:44AM +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Why is the dash package in core compiled against klibc? It is a package
> installed inside the normal system, so there is no reason to use klibc.
>
> Furthermore, why does the package not depend on klibc? klibc packages have
> to be recompiled with almost every klibc version and there is no way to
> know which packages to recompile unless pacman -Qi klibc shows them. (This
> is another example why not adding dependencies just because they are in
> base is a bad idea). Right now, /bin/dash will not start.

Well, here are some informations :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/003392.html

It looks like no one provided any feedbacks back then. Also doesn't it make
sense when building statically to only put the dependencies in makedepends
and not depends?
But if it was built statically, I don't understand why it breaks after the
first klibc upgrade. And apparently neither does Dan, since he thought that
this statically built dash was unbreakable :)