[arch-dev-public] dash package in core?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 07:50:37 EST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 11:58:44AM +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>  > Why is the dash package in core compiled against klibc? It is a package
>  > installed inside the normal system, so there is no reason to use klibc.
>  >
>  > Furthermore, why does the package not depend on klibc? klibc packages have
>  > to be recompiled with almost every klibc version and there is no way to
>  > know which packages to recompile unless pacman -Qi klibc shows them. (This
>  > is another example why not adding dependencies just because they are in
>  > base is a bad idea). Right now, /bin/dash will not start.
>  >

>  Well, here are some informations :
>  http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/003392.html

Thanks Xavier. When I don't get a single response to a thread, I
assume my shit works.

>  It looks like no one provided any feedbacks back then. Also doesn't it make
>  sense when building statically to only put the dependencies in makedepends
>  and not depends?
>  But if it was built statically, I don't understand why it breaks after the
>  first klibc upgrade. And apparently neither does Dan, since he thought that
>  this statically built dash was unbreakable :)

Responded to this already- I realized this error and had it fixed
locally, but I guess it does make sense that I should have just pushed
the rebuild to testing. Thanks for noticing the issue though and
fixing it.

-Dan