[arch-dev-public] Dangerous dbus update for testing

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Mar 12 16:58:03 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 15:42 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> > There's a dangerous dbus update coming up for the testing repository.
> >  The package itself isn't so special, as it works fine, but the fact that
> >  every dbus-daemon process on your system will crash during the upgrade
> >  can lead to unpleasant surprises.
> >
> >  Testing users: please be aware of this and run your upcoming upgrades
> >  from a plain text console instead of from X. One of the unpleasant
> >  surprises is that xorg-server in testing goes down with dbus while it's
> >  upgrading, leading to loss of important work or an interrupted package
> >  upgrade process.
>
> Awesome. I had something similar happen to me when a status script for
> my screen session segfaulted while it was upgrading bash... took
> screen down, and thus killed bash too... fun times.
>
> Is there *any* way around this?

No, there isn't. The structure of dbus 1.1 is completely different from
1.0. Dbus 1.0 has a configuration-validation algorithm that validates
the configuration before doing a reload, but as the new installed
configuration is completely valid, but just different from what 1.0 can
handle, your 1.0 daemon will crash.

As xorg-server doesn't set the right flags when opening the dbus
connection and integrating it in the mainloop, it will exit together
with your crashing dbus daemon, taking down all programs running inside
X without any warning. I was not amused when I upgraded it on my system
last monday.