[arch-dev-public] Dangerous dbus update for testing

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 12 19:54:04 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:26:42AM +0100, Jan de Groot wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 16:09 -0700, Jason Chu wrote:

> > > The crashing xorg-server is in testing and will never make it to extra:
> > > we're against the input hotplugging as it breaks too many things,
> > > including a dbus restart. This warning is for testing users who also
> > > have xorg-server from testing installed.
> >
> > I'm not against input hotplugging.  I am against input hotplugging that
> > dies when it loses the connection to dbus.
> >
> > What other things does it break?
>
> Crosspaste from other thread. Note that point 4 will take until next
> year to finish... something xorg-server-1.6'ish:
>
> 1. The dbus code is shit
> 2. Configuration of keyboard maps is shit
> 3. Suspend/resume is shit (probably related to 1.)
> 4. XInput itself is in very bad state already
>
> Point 1 can be triggered by /etc/rc.d/dbus restart.
> Point 2 can be triggered by wanting something else than a US keymap,
> combined with some nice non-standard variant
> Point 3 has been reported in combination with synaptics, but I haven't
> investigated on it further because I know 1 and 2 are valid.
> Point 4 was told to me at FOSDEM by Daniel Stone, the only maintainer I
> know that has the guts to mess with code that nobody wants to get his
> hands dirty on.

Ok, agreed on point 1.

I'm using a dvorak keymap... true, it's not a variant.  I did tell hal to
tell xorg to use the kbd driver.

I have a synaptics touchpad that works fine with suspend/resume.  I did run
into one problem this morning, but I'm not exactly sure whose fault it was.
Hal seemed to think the only keyboard/mouse I had were the external ones.
It forgot that I had builtin keyboard and mouse.

I can't say anything about point 4.  I thought XInput (which I assume is
for input hotplugging) was one of the cool new technologies being worked on
in xorg.

My only concern in this whole thing is that we'll take out hal support
because we're prejudiced against it, not because it's not ready for general
consumption.  Once it's ready for general consumption I hope that we do
make the decision to include it.

Jason