[arch-dev-public] Processor Generation++

Dale Blount dale at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 17 09:05:25 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 10:36 +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Montag, 17. März 2008 10:11:15 schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> > My opinion on this, why to desupport something which might be still used,
> > also we all know that x86_64 is the future and therefore i don't think the
> > benefit is worth the trouble.
>
> In addition to this MMX would not really boost anything. SSE would be much
> superior. And further more: You would only notice such improvements on heavy
> multimedia encoding stuff and such things you would not do on an 10 years old
> computer.

I believe though, that this was Simo's point.  We don't have many users
on 10+ year old hardware, so many of our users are doing multimedia
stuff and would benefit from MMX.  Before making any such change I'd
take a poll on the ML, BBS, Flyspray ticket, and put a post on the
frontpage pointing to all 3 asking for input on what kind of hardware
people use with Arch.  More than 1 PPro casualty might be too many (i.e.
next -Syu "bricks" their box).

Dale