[arch-dev-public] [signoff] grub-0.97-12

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Mar 18 12:09:19 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 11:02 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi
> >  - fixed gpt support
> >  http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9864
> >  please signoff for both archs
>
> What ever happened to "as vanilla as possible"? Why do we keep
> patching things left and right when 2 people request it?

Macbooks are i686 and x86_64 too. Do we want those people to install
lilo because our old ancient version of grub that hasn't seen any
development for years, doesn't support the partition table used on their
machine?
Or worse: do we want to push them to other distributions that do have a
patched grub?

For some projects you can't go vanilla. Some examples:
- xorg
- kernel
- openoffice.org