[arch-dev-public] [signoff] grub-0.97-12

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Mar 18 12:40:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 11:22 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> >  Macbooks are i686 and x86_64 too. Do we want those people to install
> >  lilo because our old ancient version of grub that hasn't seen any
> >  development for years, doesn't support the partition table used on their
> >  machine?
> >  Or worse: do we want to push them to other distributions that do have a
> >  patched grub?
>
> Wait? I thought this was for support for partitions over 2 TB. How
> does it related to Macbooks?
>
> Also, in all seriousness, how is someone leaving "worse"? I didn't
> think we were jockeying for user membership? Has this changed?

Every intel mac comes with preformatted GPT disks. GPT is a new
partitioning scheme, just like EFI is a new BIOS standard. GPT is part
of the EFI standard, which happens to be implemented on every intel mac.

About someone leaving being bad:
this is not just about someone. This is about everyone who wants to
install arch on his or her mac and wants to use grub. If we start
reasoning like this, we could just close all bugs in flyspray with
"Won't fix" because we don't think users are important.