[arch-dev-public] kernel26 unionfs/aufs conflict

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Wed Mar 26 03:34:37 EDT 2008

Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 schrieb Simo Leone:
> Hey guys,
>
> The unionfs patch in our kernel right now is old, and suffers from a few
> pretty bad bugs that cause frequent kernel panics.
> Anyhow, there's a new version at
> http://download.filesystems.org/unionfs/unionfs-2.x/unionfs-2.3.1_for_2.6.2
>4.4.diff.gz which works fine. However, it looks like it directly conflicts
> with the splice patch needed for aufs.
> Both unionfs and the aufs patch export a couple functions for modules to
> use in splice.c, and they happen to export them as different function
> names, hence the conflict. I'd argue that the unionfs patch does it
> "more correctly" given that it prefixes the function names with
> vfs_, where the aufs patch simply exports them as-is (there goes the
> namespace. ick.).
>
> Now, we can work around this with a dirty little hack that just exports
> both names, and has one simply call/return the other.
> Another alternative is to let unionfs do it their way, and patch our
> out-of-tree aufs module accordingly, which isn't a whole lot cleaner.
> The last option is to drop either aufs or unionfs, which isn't exactly
> desirable either... although they do provide similar functionality.
>
> Anyhow, I need some opinions here, and it's ultimately up to the kernel
> maintainers. I'm willing to write patches for options 1 or 2 if that's
> how you want to do it.
>
> As an aside, I'm going to read up on it and figure out who really does
> it the "right" way and let the other project know about it.
>
> -S

Hi
to reconsider, you were the guys that wanted those filesystem stuff in the
kernel,
I just add/fix hardware support which doesn't conflict with such stuff, so
figure out how to fix it send patches that it works for the stuff you need
it.
Checkout Aufs from latest CVS and try to combine it that it works.
I don't use any of this filesystems.

greetings
tpowa

--