[arch-dev-public] Offline for uncertain time.

Varun Acharya ganja.guru.x64 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:11:38 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>

>  Beside from the above,
>  Depends on how long it takes that some people come back to a sane way in
>  treating each other persons.
>  People just speaking about principels,
>  don't know why things might be good and just talk about plain not patched
>  vanilla stuff, without even thinking what the result would be.
>  I never saw someone, hey your kernel blowed my machine away, because you added
>  patch xyz.
>  Good Hardware support seems not to be needed, because all needs to be done
>  upstream and/or praised by the arch overlords, that don't do anything to make
>  the kernel better, just ranting about why you do that etc.
>  I remember the discussion about adding squashfs and the other filesystems,
>  i rejected to add it first i was flamed for it, because you needed them to do
>  your holy development work.
>  Now im flamed for every little patch, which helps some people to get their
>  hardware work properly.
>  Luckily my hardware is supported by the normal kernel modules, you will hit
>  others with not supporting their hardware, which would be quite easy to
>  achive sometimes and doesn't hurt users that don't have the hardware.
>  You will lose user friendlyness, but you don't care about them anyway, and if
>  your system doesn't work you can fix it yourself, this is your non diplomatic
>  interpretation of the so called ARCH WAY.
>  I can spend my free time on better tasks, instead of listening to your rants
>  and mostly unproductive criticism all the time, do it better or let the
>  people that know how to handle this important part of a distro do their work.
>
>  About your treatment with the ISOs I don't want to say much,
>  slapping someone in the face is nice, thanks for this.
>
>  </rant off>
>
>  Have fun,
>  (you should really link the Frustration thread from dev ml to normal general
>  mailinglist to keep some fun for the users ;) too )
>  I hope things change to a better place, with respect to each other.
>  love, peace and penguins
>

> greetings
>  tpowa
>  --
>  Tobias Powalowski
>  Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
>  http://www.archlinux.org
>  tpowa at archlinux.org

HI Tobias,
Though I'm not actively maintaining packages, I understand that Arch
is going through a difficult time now reading the ML. I have faith in
this community though, and I'm sure that once all the initial finger
pointing is done (everyone's human :-) , we will work together to
resolve whatever issues we have with each other and the "Arch Way ™".
I've always admired your skill, and hope you'll be back soon. For the
record, I like the way you maintain the kernel :), and I think
hardware support out of the box is awesome. And as for other issues
regarding the "Arch Way ™", I think they're relatively small and will
get resolved soon.

I wish you the best for your marriage. I'll contact you a few years
into the future when its time for me to get married to concoct a
formula with your pharmaceutical skills to make the girl I marry like
Linux too :) (or at least one that makes her projectile vomit if she
uses Windows)

Regards,
Dr. Varun Acharya