[arch-dev-public] The move to SVN

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 18:23:01 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Roman Kyrylych
<roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/1, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
>
> > For the rest of the week, I am going to be concentrating on one big
>  >  thing: moving our repos to SVN.
>
>  Finally! Huge thanks for stepping into this! :-)
>

>  >  We *will* lose history during this transition. It's something I'm
>  >  willing to live with, as this is not code history. We will still
>  >  archive CVS for posterity.
>
>  :-/
>  I would prefer to keep history, but if there's no (easy enought) way to do this
>  - I'm fine without history, especially when CVS archive is kept for some time
>  (BTW, this is a good example where ChangeLog file with important changes
>  comes handy, especially for important packages).

We all wish we could keep history, but it's going to be nearly
unusable and going to make the conversion process take obscenely
longer. I have talked it over with Dan and Jason, as far as the best
way to do this conversion, and we all agree that losing the history is
a better cost than the added effort for keeping it.

The CVS archive will be kept as long as we need it (years?).

>  What I'm concerned about is the status of community.
>  Scripts seem to be pretty old (don't understand -arch suffix yet).
>  If our AUR heros can move this to SVN in pretty short time (few days?)
>  - that would be awesome.
>  I can help with aurtools/devtools modification/testing
>  and changing guidelines for TUs.

One step at a time please. The community scripts are my next point of
attack, so lets just stick with the SVn conversion for right now. I am
already talking over the technical details with Paul and Simo, and
switching to svn is easy. Path of least resistance. The next thing I
tackle like this will be the community management scripts, so don't
fear.