[arch-dev-public] GPL Compliance: A beginning

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed May 21 16:49:09 EDT 2008

So, yeah people are blowing smoke about this hosting the sources
thing. That's fine, it's a legit violation...

I made a little script which should generate some of these things...
I'm testing it now, as it's not fully "live" just yet:
http://dev.archlinux.org/~aaron/sources/

Here's something neat which is an added bonus: any one of these things
can be used to build the entire package when offline. Download the
src.tar.gz, extract, and makepkg.

One big lingering issue: do we need different source tarballs for each
arch? My instincts tell me yes, for a few reasons:
* I recall some PKGBUILDs having CARCH based 'if's around the sources
* Some packages are only in one arch or another

Does anyone know of a way to solve this... I don't want to bloat the
disk usage for a few special cases? mayeb md5sum and symlink?