[arch-dev-public] Repo cleanup / Package adoption

Mon May 26 17:12:52 EDT 2008

On Mon, 26 May 2008, Thayer Williams wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Eric Belanger
> <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>
>> There are still several devs who haven't answered yet. This is a gentle
>> reminder.
>
> I'm just looking through the list now and I see some programs that, at
> least in my opinion we should drop if nobody is actively maintaining
> them:  azureus, dvdbackup, handbrake, nicotine, and d4x. All of these
> are pretty fringe apps except for maybe azureus, which is just plain
> slow and buggy (or was the last time I used it).
>
> I don't know much about the deps/makedeps, but if any of them are tied
> to the other fringe apps we should look at removing them entirely as
> well...just my two cents of course. I admit though I was a bit
> surprised to see we had 4267 packages in extra--even if half of those
> are x86_64 that's a still a shedload of maintenance.

I don't think these fringe apps have a lot of depends specific to them. If
so, we'll remove them when we'll remove the apps. Currently, I want to
focus on the depends for stuff that we want to keep. When the list will be
smaller, I'll update it with the current orphans in the dashboard. There
might be other orphaned fringes apps or packages we want to keep not in
the wiki list.

Also, I've noticed that some packages got orphaned when we updated the web site:
sudo, abs, exiv2, initscripts, etc.
Check if it happened to your packages. Otherwise, I'll add them to the
wiki list when I'll update it.

believed to be clean.