[arch-dev-public] Who wants to set up my 64 bit build box?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:11:37 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I have a machine that has been put aside for building 64 bit packages.
>  Now that Aaron's is dead, we could start using this one.  I have no
> idea how Aaron's was set up so I don't really have an idea on how to
> set this one up.
>
> What is needed for me to make this build machine available?

I can do it. Give me sudo access and I will set it all up the same way
I had mine setup.

It's fairly easy, here are the steps I did:

mkarchroot /var/archroot base base-devel sudo
cd /etc/skel
mkdir -p chroot-shell/{rw, union}
ln -s /var/archroot chroot-shell/root

groupadd builders

Allow 'builders' to execute "makechrootpkg" in /etc/sudoers
Make sure CHROOT_SHELL is an allowed envvar in /etc/sudoers
add "export CHROOT_SHELL="$HOME/chroot-shell" to /etc/skel/.bashrc

Ummm....
I had a cron job running "mkarchroot -u" on /var/archroot because it
didn't need to boot or anything, so auto-updates are cool

I also had a long motd explaining the instructions, but I can wikify
that if you want.

What else, what else...
Make sure user accounts are added to the "builders" group.

Additionally, I did install devtools from git, due to the unionfs
issues (we haven't released a new devtools with that fix in it)