[arch-dev-public] Encoding issues - gmail?

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Fri Nov 7 14:27:12 EST 2008

Aaron Griffin a écrit :
> Hey guys, I wanted to know if I screwed this up, or if it's just
> gmail. When Francois commits something, gmail displays the cedilla
> funny:
>
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:19 AM, François Charette
> <francois at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> In case it shows up fine for you, it appears to be Fran(A with a thing
> over it)(double S section marker thing)ois

This is UTF8 wrongly interpreted as ISO-8859-1. ç [Atilde + Section
sign] correspond to the two bytes representing ccedilla in UTF8... (0xC3
0xA7).

> This name is pulled from /etc/passwd, so I have a feeling if it IS
> screwed up, it may be a problem with how I entered it in that file.
>
> Can anyone see it properly? Is it an encoding/font issue with my
> browser, or a problem in /etc/passwd ?

My name thus appears be correctly encoded as UTF8 in /etc/passwd but
gmail or your browser somehow reads it as Latin-1.

It reminds me of the (prehistoric) days when I got my very first email
account at university, ca 1992. In those days email servers would strip
off the 8th bit of messages written with an 8bit-encoding, so something
in French like "André va à l'école" would come off as "Andri va ` l'icole".