[arch-dev-public] [signoff] device-mapper 1.02.29-1 & lvm2 2.02.43-1

Eric Bélanger belanger at ASTRO.UMontreal.CA
Sun Nov 16 16:05:43 EST 2008

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Thomas Bächler wrote:

> Eric Bélanger schrieb:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> device-mapper 1.02.29-1 and lvm2 2.02.43-1 are now in testing for both
>> arches. It's a minor upstream update. The most important change is:
>> "Starting with LVM2 release 2.02.43, the device-mapper files are now
>> included with the LVM2 releases (in ../lvm2)."
>> I've modified the PKGBUILD accordingly.
>>
>> Please test and signoff. I would like 2 signoff for i686 because  I don't
>> use lvm2 on my i686 system so I could only do minor testing. As I believe
>> few devs use this, signoffs from users are welcomed.
>>
>> Eric
>>

> Did it "just build" for you? I tried several of the recent lvm2 versions and
> all of them aborted during the build with the weirdest error message (some
> constant wasn't found although it was clearly defined in the header).

Only the latest version that is currently in testing builds fine. I get
that error in the older ones.

In case it interest you, here what I had time to find out about this
error. I've discovered that this error happens because, for some reason
unknown to me, LIB_DEVICE_MAPPER_H is already defined when it tries to use
the header file so it just ignore the whole content. However, if
libdevmapper.h is copied among the other includes files contained in the
lvm2 source tarball, then the older versions will build fine. I intended
to examine this more closely when they released a version that builds
fine. I presume that the fact that they now include the device-mapper
sources in the lvm2 source tarball has fixed this error.
believed to be clean.