[arch-dev-public] bluez status?

Thayer Williams thayerw at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:44:58 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Jud wrote:
>>
>> It seems nobody loves bluez - can it please be demoted to the AUR so
>> the community can revive it, thanks.
>>
>> Packages:
>> bluez
>> bluez-gnome
>> obex-data-server
>> openobex
>> gnokii
>> libbtctl
>>
>> Obsolete:
>> bluez-libs
>> bluez-utils
>>

> Well, it is not quite that simple.  From a simple scan the following
> packages depend on bluez:
>
> gvfs
> kdebase-workshop
> totem
> totem-xine
>
> From a look in the [community] repo, Giovanni (viodnull) maintains some
> bluez related packages.  So, Giovanni, can you take this on?

Ugh! Totem requires bluetooth stuff!? Since it seems this is a
technology that virtually none of the developers (nor many of the
users) seem to want or use, maybe we should consider compiling the
above applications with BT support disabled.  I'm just spouting ideas
here, I have no idea if the above actually can be compiled without
support, but it seems a reasonable solution.  Then we could safely
shift it back to the community/AUR for maintenance...