[arch-dev-public] Plan for python upgrade

James Rayner iphitus at iphitus.org
Sat Oct 4 10:11:32 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Eric Belanger
<belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> IMO, Plan 1 is the way to go as this is how we managed the qt3/qt upgrade.
> Does anyone has an idea on how many packages in the repo currently works
> with or need python3.0? If that number is zero or very small, we could
> update python to 2.6 and wait until that number increases before proceeding
> with Plan 1.  That will reduce the number of rebuilds because we will be
> replacing rebuilds by package update that eventually would need to be done
> anyway.

Agreed, plan 1.

Though, to make it easier, we could start it now. I suggest we add a
python2 symlink to whatever the current python2.x version is, so that
we can start adding the symlinks whenever we update a python  package
and now not have to wait.

Also... has upstream mention any suggestions for migration?

More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list