[arch-dev-public] policykit install problem

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 08:35:21 EDT 2008

2008/9/27 Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
> Guys, we have some big problems with groups.
>
> ( 9/31) installing policykit                        [---------------------] 100%
> groupadd: GID 102 is not unique
> useradd: unknown group policykit
> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> chown: invalid user: `policykit'
> chown: invalid user: `policykit:policykit'
> chown: invalid user: `policykit'
> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
>
> Taking a peek at /etc/groups I saw this:
>
> kvm:x:101:
> tex:x:102:
>
> We really shouldn't be creating groups above 100, should we? Even more
> of a problem is explicitly specifying 102 in the policykit install
> script. These are reserved for user use. Your input is definitely
> welcome on this.

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11589

We have user UIDs starting from 1000, but GIDs only from 100.
The most correct would be to have user-created GIDs start from 1000 too,
but then users that already have created 1xx groups should recreate
them and re-chgrp all files/dirs :-/

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)