[arch-dev-public] policykit install problem

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Oct 5 18:06:36 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 16:31 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/9/27 Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
> >> Guys, we have some big problems with groups.
> >>
> >> ( 9/31) installing policykit                        [---------------------] 100%
> >> groupadd: GID 102 is not unique
> >> useradd: unknown group policykit
> >> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> >> chown: invalid user: `policykit'
> >> chown: invalid user: `policykit:policykit'
> >> chown: invalid user: `policykit'
> >> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> >> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> >> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> >> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> >> chgrp: invalid group: `policykit'
> >>
> >> Taking a peek at /etc/groups I saw this:
> >>
> >> kvm:x:101:
> >> tex:x:102:
> >>
> >> We really shouldn't be creating groups above 100, should we? Even more
> >> of a problem is explicitly specifying 102 in the policykit install
> >> script. These are reserved for user use. Your input is definitely
> >> welcome on this.
> >
> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11589
> >
> > We have user UIDs starting from 1000, but GIDs only from 100.
> > The most correct would be to have user-created GIDs start from 1000 too,
> > but then users that already have created 1xx groups should recreate
> > them and re-chgrp all files/dirs :-/
>
> Mind filing a FR for that? I believe it would require changes in
> shadow... but we need to be careful to warn all users to modify their
> custom groups. It will be a headache, but I agree we should do it

Ehm, why do we get ourselves in trouble like this?
We have an amount of static uid/gid combinations. UIDs below 1000 have
been reserved for system things for a long while, GIDs below 100 have
been reserved for system things also.
We've been using static UID/GIDs in packages for now. This has always
brought up weird issues with people that have other users using these
UID/GID combinations.
When I take a look at the Debian boxes I maintain, I see these groups:
crontab:x:101:
ssh:x:102:
ntp:x:103:
ssl-cert:x:104:
postfix:x:105:
postdrop:x:106:

When I look on a different debian box, I see these numbers are in a
different order, or different users assigned to these GIDs. I think it's
better to change packages like policykit instead to add groups and
change ownership and permission in post_install and post_upgrade.