[arch-dev-public] policykit install problem

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 19:13:06 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:

>>> Mind filing a FR for that? I believe it would require changes in
>>> shadow... but we need to be careful to warn all users to modify their
>>> custom groups. It will be a headache, but I agree we should do it
>>
>> Ehm, why do we get ourselves in trouble like this?
>> We have an amount of static uid/gid combinations. UIDs below 1000 have
>> been reserved for system things for a long while, GIDs below 100 have
>> been reserved for system things also.
>> We've been using static UID/GIDs in packages for now. This has always
>> brought up weird issues with people that have other users using these
>> UID/GID combinations.
>> When I take a look at the Debian boxes I maintain, I see these groups:
>> crontab:x:101:
>> ssh:x:102:
>> ntp:x:103:
>> ssl-cert:x:104:
>> postfix:x:105:
>> postdrop:x:106:
>>
>> When I look on a different debian box, I see these numbers are in a
>> different order, or different users assigned to these GIDs. I think it's
>> better to change packages like policykit instead to add groups and
>> change ownership and permission in post_install and post_upgrade.
>
> Are you suggesting we actually forget about reserved GIDs and UIDs
> altogether and do it all dynamically?
>
> That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. Opinions?

This particular install was an exception- it *insisted* on using 102
rather than just taking the first available. I feel like our current
group policy creates base system groups (and perhaps those required
for core packages) with numbers below 100, and everything else is just
first-come, first-serve.

-Dan