[arch-dev-public] [idea] Kernel Release Policy

James Rayner iphitus at iphitus.org
Mon Oct 6 03:28:16 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Jud <jud at judfilm.net> wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> <big snip>
> So my major point is: The only thing I want to really change is while
> the newer .x kernel is been prepped for released, Arch does not abandon
> the current .x kernel.

Whoa, could have said that at the start :p

The complication is that kernels need to go through testing, and we
can't test a 2.6.26.y while there's a 2.6.27 in [testing]. So we can
either ignore our current rule for kernel to go through [testing]
making an exception for .y releases - or we can leave the same as it
is now.

I'm inclined to leave things the same rather than make an exception.
Many .y releases are pretty minor, or we have them merged already.

James