[arch-dev-public] away / OpenOffice3.0 update

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Oct 8 12:59:32 EDT 2008

I'm just building the final packages for both architectures and all
langpacks we support. I'll let the packages stay in my staging dirs
until Friday afternoon (CET). Then the next and hopefully last OOo IRC
release meeting will happen. If no further changes are needed they plan
to release the current state as final OOo 3.0.0 on next Tuesday.

The packages have been long time tested as openoffice-base-beta and I
don't expect much hussle. But some noise will raise for
major upstream changes:

- There's no more any kde(4) gui integration and it might ook very ugly,
  maybe qtcurve (see http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52428)
  helps for a better gtk look. You can still choose kde icons.

- It's strongly recommended to preset gnome-desktop as described in
  the install message, especially for other desktops than Gnome and
  Xfce, otherwise it will soon crash.

- any openoffice-spell-XX package is obsolete now

- Spell checking is done via extensions now (also English!). Some are
  shipped within the package, more can be downloaded. Use extension
  manager for installation.

- All important changes should be covered in our wiki page
  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenOffice.

- After the release I'll remove the ooodi2 package.

I'll be on vacation from Sat. 11th to 18th - and sure some questions
will appear. I hope I covered most questions with the install message
and our wiki page. A news item shouldn't be needed. Please help out in
the forum or IRC if you find some time.
You can try out the packages soon from my staging dir if you want.

-Andy