[arch-dev-public] xorg move to extra?

James Rayner iphitus at iphitus.org
Tue Oct 14 19:33:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> I would like to move xorg to extra soon. The state of X.org in testing
> is a lot better than the packages in extra. This means problems for some
> users though:
> - nvidia-96xx doesn't work
> - nvidia-71xx doesn't work
> - catalyst doesn't work
> All the other drivers should work fine, as they're either opensource
> drivers or binary drivers that support X.Org 7.4 by now. People affected
> by this should either stick with the old xorg-server or install free
> drivers with support for their hardware.
> I don't wish to wait for new non-free drivers, as the non-free vendors
> don't give any information about X.Org 7.4 support on their roadmap. We
> can wait for 6 months if we keep waiting on this.

It'd be a good idea to set conflicts=() with the older nvidia/catalyst
so that their xorg doesnt get upgraded, and thus their X isn't broken.
That way we don't piss off a lot of people.

More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list