[arch-dev-public] delete 'makedev' from extra?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Oct 16 20:01:19 EDT 2008

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>> I have a feeling the new "five second boot" article and resulting
>> competitions may revive MAKEDEV. However, I think the script would be
>> much better off in [unsupported] where the people playing with this
>> stuff have more access to it.
>
> Well, if you really want all the devices for your computer, you can
> run udev once and just copy the /dev dir.

I don't get those OMGIBOOTFASTER things. Besides, it is possible that in
the future major/minor numbers will be dynamically assigned by the
kernel, this is already possible with alsa so you can support a large
number of sound cards. udev does its job fine, we don't need to support
deprecated static /dev methods.