[arch-dev-public] core and base cleanup, again

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 07:49:57 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Half-OT: I think there are still some missing deps for some packages in the
> base groups. Especially commands used in install script are often not covered.

Most of these commands will be installed during the first install of
the base group.
(Are some of these commands not even part of base? If so, it is even
more problematic...)
Otherwise, it is only for this first install that it can be
problematic, because there will likely be many commands missing. And
adding dependencies won't solve anything, because it introduces even
more circular dependencies, and thus there is simply no order in which
all packages can be correctly installed with their scriptlets. By the
way, it is still a mystery to me how the Arch installer handles that.
And every Arch system is supposed to do this initial install of the
base group, and then to keep the base group installed. So then, these
dependencies don't really matter either.