[arch-dev-public] About Arch Linux

Thayer Williams thayer at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 22 19:39:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Dusty Phillips <buchuki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Er... I just noticed this page: http://www.archlinux.org/about/ refers
> to "Current" and "Release" and version 0.5 which I think was the
> version before I first started using Arch. Which is to say: Ancient.
>
> Thayer, I vaguely remember you updating the text for this page, did I
> just dream that or did you send it to me and I forgot to update the
> page or it somehow otherwise got lost?
>
> If there isn't a new version of this page lying around, does anybody
> have any input for what it should say? I know Arch hasn't changed that
> much.
>
> Personally I want to put Judd's original "dictionary definition" of
> Arch back in there, that was quintessential arch and should not be
> forgotten. =)
>
> Dusty

Ack! I haven't read that page in ages...and yes, you were dreaming.
My wife and I were working on restructuring the intro text for main
page, but someone beat us to the punch.

I do have ideas though:

Revise and categorize the text into small sections, such as What is
Arch?, A Rolling Release, Software Repositories, etc.

Under each category include a brief description (1-2 sentences at
most) and then provide a link to a relevant wiki article for further
reading. For example, the "What is Arch?" section could end with a
link to the "Arch Linux" wiki article (or Arch Way, or whatever) and
the Software Repositories section could end with a link to the
"Official Repositories" wiki article.