[arch-dev-public] What to do with JRE and JDK?

Eduardo Romero k3nsai at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 21:46:22 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 09:10 -0400, Paul Mattal wrote:

> > Looks like no developers are really expressing interest in this. Java
> > seems like a pretty important package to have in the official repos,
> > but if no one is willing to maintain it we have ourselves a problem.
> >
> > Is there a TU that is willing to take these packages on for community?
>
> I'll take these to keep them in extra, if nobody else does. I know I
> rely on them. I'll give it a week and then adopt.
>
> - P

Geoffroy Carrier is a TU and wants to take them, as far as I understood
from his personal email to me. But well, I do understand the importance
of this packages in extra, I just am concerned for the quality and
maintenance of the packages, when no developer has real interest in
them. Also, I was pointed out in the discussion I had with Andreas, that
openjdk6 is the future. And is what we want to support.

But well, the discussion can still go on here. So just tell me what is
it going to be? There is one user that would gladly take them to
community. But the point of maintaining them in extra is valid as well.