[arch-dev-public] xorg move to extra?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Oct 31 03:43:26 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 02:34 +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Dienstag 14 Oktober 2008 09:05:23 schrieb Jan de Groot:
> > - nvidia-96xx doesn't work
> > - nvidia-71xx doesn't work
>
> Finally, nvidia has released legacy drivers for xorg 7.4. They are in beta
> state but better than nothing.
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122140
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122139

Ah, good. Can someone update them to testing?

At this moment, we have some issues holding back the release:
1. xorg-server-1.5.2-3 gives a warning on install/upgrade, though
harmless, it generates bugreports from concerned users
2. xf86-video-intel-2.5.0 seems to have problems with DRI on some chips
3. libdrm 2.4.0 seems to cause problems with compositing
4. kernel needs a patch for G4* support, Xorg will crash without the
patch

I updated libdrm to 2.4.1 which should fix some symbol conflicts with
Mesa on Intel chips. This could fix point 2, which will possibly also
fix point 3.

There's also another thing that needs taken care of. X.Org 7.4 on
archlinux comes with input hotplugging, which means all your devices
setup in xorg.conf are ignored, including keymaps (the hotplugged
devices are configured after the ones in xorg.conf, but evdev steals all
input events from your configured devices, so the ones in xorg.conf
don't get any key or mouse events).
I expect another large amount of bugreports about keymaps and mouse
configuration if we don't setup some good wiki documentation about this.