[arch-dev-public] What to do with JRE and JDK?

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Fri Oct 31 20:44:42 EDT 2008

On Oct 31, 2008, at 8:37 PM, Dan McGee wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Eduardo Romero <k3nsai at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 19:39 -0300, Hugo Doria wrote:
>>> tomcat is using openjdk6 now, so i think jre is ready to be moved.
>>>
>>> -- Hugo
>> Still waiting on eclipse, it needs to be upgraded and have the jdk
>> dependency removed and the openjdk6 dependency added. Thanks man.
>
> Why on earth didn't we make a provides for this a while ago? I thought
> we had done that.
>
> I feel like openjdk should provide 'jdk' at the least, no?

I'm fairly sure we do. It's called "java-environment". The runtime is
"java-runtime".

So openjdk provides "java-environment" which it already does.

Eclipse for a long time required actual Sun jre to be built and was
tested with that. Now that it's being tested with openjdk6, it seems
like the reasonable time to make the switch to the new dependency. So
I'm planning to do that this weekend.

- P