[arch-dev-public] Possible signoff addendum

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Tue Sep 2 08:02:23 EDT 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Dusty Phillips <buchuki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another alternative:
>>
>> - Create a web based interface to allow community users to signoff on
>> packages. We could have a policy of X number of user signoffs is equal
>> to one developer signoff. Developers can be trusted to test it better
>> (or not? ;-), but arch members can contribute too. In that case we
>> still need some incentive to the end users to bother doing this. There
>> aren't a lot of people like dolby and cactus who seem to actually like
>> working really hard with as little recognition as possible.
>
> I actually thought about this a while back. It was in terms of "each
> package needs 10 points, developer signoffs are 5 points, TU signoffs
> are 3 points, user signoffs are one point"
>
> It might be a useful way to find active community members too. If you
> could think of a way to creatively implement something like this, I'd
> be all for it, assuming other people are.
>
> But yeah, I think you may be right about the "encouraging people not
> to sign off at all" part. It would make people lazy.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have the signoffs come from testers
who are not developers-- it saves time for developers to be developing
if others are testing.

I know I test when I can, but usually get around to it less when I have
a backlog of developing to do already.

So it might be a better division of labor to bring actual testers on
board who like testing and who help us out by doing that. With the web
interface, we should be able to give them just access to signoffs.

Just a thought.

- P