[arch-dev-public] Risky business: udev upgrade

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 14:45:18 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like this explaination a little better than "our rules are stock
> too", but I'm still undecided. I'd be interested in hearing some other
> opinions here... Dan, you usually have good input... opinion?

Without completely understanding udev as a whole, but understanding
system customization, I can say this. If this file is meant to be
modified by end users, it should definitely go in /etc. The current
file there says this at the top, however: "do not edit this file, it
will be overwritten on update". So what is the case here? If this
comment is wrong, it should get killed. If this file is meant to be
edited, it should certainly be in the package's backup array.

Going back further on this thread, can anyone explain what this
Arch-specific ruleset does that the upstream ruleset doesn't already
do? It seems like their rules have gotten much more complete.

-Dan