[arch-dev-public] TeXLive

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Wed Sep 10 05:40:56 EDT 2008

Some of you will remember that I have been hired as a dev to bring
texlive to extra... This I hope is very soon going to happen.

TeXLive 2008 has been released last week, and after several days of
preparation, I am (almost) ready to release the pkgs (perhaps after a
few days spent in testing? what do you think?)

Now since I have not yet played with the dev tools at all since joining
the team, I want to ask a few questions pertaining to the dev wiki
"HOWTO be a packager". Your answers should help me avoid a situation
where Allan would start saying "Firmicus broke it" ;)

So here it goes:

I have added the packages to svn and commited them in the trunk. So far
so good. Now suppose I want to upload them to testing, so I'll run
testingpkg for the upload and then /arch/db-testing on gerolde. OK. What
I find unclear is when one needs to "tag" releases (with archrelease).
Is this for special situations only?

Also, concerning the svn $Id tag, should I add them to all my new
PKGBUILDs in trunk?

One more thing: source files for everything except the binary sources
are bundled by myself and will be put on
dev.archlinux.org/~francois/src/. Note that this can add up to several
hundred MB! Please tell me if this is going to be a problem. (The reason
for this is that the individual TL packages are continuously updated on
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/archive/, so any
PKGBUILD using these would be based on a constantly moving target.
Bundling my own sources at each release is I think the most practical
solution. The sources have a CONTENTS file which indicates the revision
number of each TeXLive package it provides).

Ah, and my packages have lzma-utils in the makedepends array, which is
currently in community. Should I move it to extra?

Best,
François

PS: You can have a look at related discussions here:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=418242