[arch-dev-public] [signoff] udev 128-1

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 12 06:22:20 EDT 2008

Allan McRae wrote:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>> Thanks Eric for being on the ball. I didn't check for a new version
>> today.
>>
>> Pushed to testing.
>> Some important changes:
>> * Stock rules are not in /lib/udev/rules.d/
>> * /etc/udev/rules.d is still respected and should be used for
>> non-stock rules
>> * Custom readme moved to /usr/share/udev. slated for removal later
>> (man pages are superior)
>> * Improved stock rules, will eventually need to clean up our Arch
>> rules...
>> * Possibly others.
>>
>> Please test and let me know how it goes.
>>
>> Also, a x86_64 build would be nice.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Aaron
>
> I still lose (at least) my wireless network connection when I update
> to this udev version.  I'm using gnome-network-manager with an Intel
> PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card and iwlwifi.  Trying to figure this out now
> because I like the internet...

So, the dependency path from gnome-network-manager to udev is:
|--gnome-network-manager
   |--networkmanager
      |--hal
         |--udev

It appears hal needs a rebuild because of the libvolume_id soname bump
in the udev package.  Updating udev then restarting hal and
networkmanager make my internet die.  I very quickly tried rebuilding
hal but it failed....

checking whether to rebuild gperf header files... checking for DBUS... yes
checking for GLIB... yes
checking if GLib is version 2.14.0 or newer... yes
checking for VOLUME_ID... configure: error: Package requirements
(libvolume_id >= 0.77) were not met:

No package 'libvolume_id' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables VOLUME_ID_CFLAGS
and VOLUME_ID_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.