[arch-dev-public] handling info files

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Sep 17 13:23:05 EDT 2008

Now that we decided that we want to ship info documentation we
should decide how to package such files: info files could be gzipped by
makepkg or stay uncompressed.

On my system they already take quiet a lot of space compared to much
more packages shipping man-pages:

[root at workstation64 andyrtr]# du -ch /usr/share/info/
21M	/usr/share/info/
[root at workstation64 andyrtr]# du -sch /usr/share/man
61M	/usr/share/man

Some are really big like gcc.info being 1.8mb uncompressed. I vote for
auto-gzipping the info pages like man-pages.

And shouldn't we check and remove the $pkgdir/usr/share/info/dir
file that every pkg with info files produces?

Maybe we can also print at the end of the makepkg run an array of
found info files the packager should put into the *.install file. Right
now we use the proto-info.install shipped with the "abs" pkg. An
automated solution would be also nice for that.

Opinions?

-Andy