[arch-dev-public] [WARNING and signoff] klibc 1.5.14-1, klibc-extras 2.5-1, klibc-udev 128-1, klibc-kbd 1.15.20080312-7, klibc-module-init-tools 3.4-2, v86d 0.1.7-1

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Sep 18 12:48:08 EDT 2008

I updated klibc from 1.5 to the Testing 1.5.14. We had to patch 1.5 so
heavily to even work and it had evil bugs, so going with 1.5.14 is better.

First of all, it won't upgrade smoothly due to a pacman bug. Please do
  rm /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm
to remove a symlink that causes lots of false file conflicts
(http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-September/012971.html).
After that you can update.

If you want to test these, DO NOT OVERWRITE YOUR CURRENT INITRAMFS AND
DO NOT WAIT FOR A KERNEL UPDATE TO DO SO. I only ran x86_64 on one
machine, i686 is completely untested. Please do the following:
  mkinitcpio -k 2.6.26-ARCH -g /boot/kernel26.img.newklibc
Then boot the kernel26.img.newklibc instead of kernel26.img (that can be
done directly from grub).

Here is the news:
- Removed mknod from klibc-extras, using the klibc one instead
- Update to klibc 1.5.14, fixing a memory corruption and probably more
- Add resolve-modalias to klibc-extras
- Update klibc-udev, it should now be in the same state as our udev
package. Module blacklisting with disablemodules= or load_modules=off
from the kernel commandline should now behave exactly like in the real
system.
- Updated v86d, I hope the segfault bug on i686 is now fixed due to the
klibc update.

Please test thoroughly and sign off.